Our outreach and advocacy for those suffering hunger, malnutrition, or lack of food security is coordinated through our Hunger Committee and through Episcopal Charities and Community Services.
In response to our Lord's call for compassion, love, and respect, the Hunger Committee is responding to Christ's call for compassion, love and respect for all humanity by committing to the following goals:
- To uphold the right of every human being, as a child of God, to adequate food and nutrition;
- To build greater awareness of the root causes of hunger, malnutrition, and
- poverty, and to develop possible courses of action, including the implementation of the Millennium Development Goals;
- To empower a network of people who will act as advocates for hungry people and issues of food justice; and
- To support each concerned individual and congregation with the resources of the Committee.
Working toward these goals, the Committee:
- Builds communications using a variety of avenues including electronic issues of the Hunger Network, articles in Anglican Advance and other media;
- Plans and makes available educational programs on hunger and related issues;
- Studies hunger issues in order to act as an educational resource for the diocese, as a guide for action, and as an advocate for hungry people;
- Promotes changes in public policy which would make available more food for hungry people and would impact the root causes of hunger;
- Encourages lifestyles that consume less of the world's resources;
- Supports, encourages, and assists parishes and missions of the Diocese to provide direct food relief locally and to increase development assistance in this country and throughout the world.
The Hunger Committee welcomes you to join us in our efforts. Contact Helen Klaviter for more information and/or to visit a committee meeting.
Download a list of resources, also listed below.
Food Banks and Feeding Assistance
Community Gardens and Job Training
Church World Service/CROP WALKS - Founded in 1946, Church World Service is a cooperative ministry of 37 Christian communions working together to eradicate hunger and poverty and promote peace and justice among the world's most vulnerable people.