If you wish to explore a list of spiritual directors and centers for spiritual direction in the Chicago area, please contact Louisa McKellaston, Administrative Assistant to the Commission on Ministry.
Introductory materials as you approach discernment:
These focus on discernment to the ordained ministry. They are a good place to begin if your community is working with you to discern a call to become a deacon or a priest.
- Chicago to Refocus Ordination - Living Church Article by Bishop Lee & Sam Portaro
- A Resource for Discerning Individuals
- Preparing to Tell Your Faith Story
- Outline for Discernment in a Local Community
Materials your committee needs as you begin discernment:
These will help guide you and your committee as you go through the discernment process.
- A Resource for Congregational Discernment Teams
- Descriptions of Discernment
- Sample Discernment Processes
You might find these useful during the process. They are separated according to area of discernment.
Life’s Work-Personal Mission:
- Dwight Judy, Discerning Life Transitions: Listening Together in Spiritual Direction
- Richard Nelson Bolles, How to Find Your Mission in Life
- Parker J. Palmer, Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation
- Suzanne Farnham, et al Listening Hearts: Discerning Call in Community
- Sam Portaro, Transforming Vocation
- Rosalind Brown, Being a Deacon Today: Exploring a Distinctive Ministry in the Church and in the World
- Linda Grenz and Delbert Glover, The Marriage Journey: Preparations and Provisions for Life Together
- Sasha Cagen, Quirkyalone: A Manifesto for Uncompromising Romantics
- Herbert Anderson and Susan Johnson, Regarding Children: A New Respect for Childhood and Families
- Sherrie Eldridge, 20 Things Adoptive Parents Need to Succeed
- Heidi Neumark, Breathing Space: A Spiritual Journey in the South Bronx
- Martin Copenhaver and Lillian Daniel, This Odd and Wondrous Calling: The Public and Private Lives of Two Ministers
- Richard Lischer, Open Secrets: A Memoir of Faith and Discovery
- Eugene Peterson, The Pastor: A Memoir
- Gordon Lathrop, The Pastor: A Spirituality