Diocesan Convention Youth Participation
Diocesan Convention 2019
November 22-23, 2019 - Westin, Lombard
The Episcopal Diocese of Chicago has a long tradition of welcoming young leaders at diocesan convention as youth delegates, alternates, and general participants. We celebrate that young people are the church and affirm that we need their voice, gifts, and leadership to fully represent who we are as the body of Christ. Students in grades 9-12 may apply to be one of 12 Youth Delegates who have seat, voice, and vote at Diocesan Convention. It is our goal to have a youth representative from each Deanery and geographic region of the diocese. High School Youth may also attend as alternate delegates or General Participants in Diocesan Convention.
Online Registration opening soon! Download the flyer here to share with youth in your church!
Diocesan Convention is both important and fun. We hope you'll come and join us! Here are some of the things we do:
- Participate in voting on resolutions and elections to offices.
- Attend Keynote presentations and breakout sessions.
- Dance! There will be a dance after the Friday night dinner for all delegates!
- Visit exhibit hall, get cool stuff.
Contact the Associate for Youth and Campus Ministry at 312.751.6722 with questions or to find out more.
History of Youth Participation at Diocesan Convention
- Youth were granted seat, and voice at Diocesan Convention in 1998.
- Youth were granted seat, voice, and vote at Diocesan Convention in 2003.
- A Resolution urging congregations to create youth seats on Vestries and Bishop's Committee's was also passed in 2003.
- A high school student was elected First Alternate Deputy to General Convention 2006. He was 16 at the time of General Convention, the youngest deputy there. He was reelected to serve as a Deputy to General Convention in 2009 in Anaheim, CA.